Memorial Day

I received an email from the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad in Southern Colorado a week or so ago. Apparently, they were running a promotion for their opening day weekend (this weekend). All seats on all trains on Memorial Day weekend would be $18.78 in remembrance of the year the route was begun. This is a big discount from the $50+ the seats usually run.

Well, as we're supposedly in saving mode right now, I read the email and promptly ignored it. But I didn't delete it. More telling still, I kept coming back to it. Finally, after a few days, I decided to mention it to QT to see what he thought about it. Surprisingly, QT liked the idea. He even booked our hotel room himself!

That morning, I'd taken the kiddos to the park so, by afternoon, I was scrambling to get ready for our last minute trip. We ended up leaving the house at 6. Because of traffic, we didn't make it into Pueblo until many hours later and didn't get to sleep until sometime after that. Still, the next morning, we were up bright and early for the last leg of our trip into La Veta.

The train trip itself was fun enough, I suppose. Pumpkin and QT loved it. Of course. There isn't much to do in Alamosa, which was our destination that day. We just had a quick lunch at a pretty lousy Mexican restaurant then we reboarded the train for the return trip. We picked up extra passengers for the return trip so it was a bit noisier than the way over but still not too bad. All in all, a very nice and relaxing way to travel. I'm looking forward to our next scenic train ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment