A Day In The Life

Woke up. Got out of bed. Dragged a comb across my head. Well, sorta. At 6am on the morning we were to depart for Texas, I woke up to the sound of Pumpkin coughing. He quieted, and I drifted back to sleep. Shortly thereafter, I woke up again when I heard him crying frantically. I ran to his room and found him sitting on his bed, crying his little eyes out, and covered in vomit. It seems the stomach virus that had been going around finally caught up to us--and once again on the eve of our departure. To make matters worse, I was on my own; QT having left on his trip the day before.

Well, in a nutshell, I gave Pumpkin a bath, threw his sheets in the wash, put him back in bed, and jumped in the shower. Then, he vomited again; I washed more sheets, cleaned him up again, put him back to bed, and finally decided to just give up on even thinking of getting any more sleep. Instead, I got on the computer to read up on stomach viruses and check us in for our flight. The rest of our day went by in a blur until my friend Mel arrived to take us to the airport. Here's a self-portrait I took sometime that morning. I was so busy after my shower that I never actually had a chance to drag a comb across my hair. As the morning wore on, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my curls still existed. (I'd thought the dry Colorado air had killed them, hehe). So, forgive me, but I had to take a quick moment to snap a photo. It's for posterity after all!

On the plane, we were fortunate to be seated next to a very nice man on his way to basic training. When I warned him that Pumpkin had been ill that morning, he said he wasn't worried about getting soiled having two small kids of his own. Other than that, the flight itself was uneventful, though if anything had happened, I'd have been prepared having gone through this once before when we flew out to California earlier this year. So, I carried a couple extra pounds of clothes and barf cloths on my back, big whup! Thankfully, there was no cause to use them this time.

We arrived at the Denver airport shortly after 1pm MST. We landed in San Antonio around 7pm CST and arrived at my parents' house in Laredo around midnight. A long day indeed!

So, what've we done since arriving? Well, we've eaten at Salsa's a few times already. Speaking of Salsa's, Mom & Dad just purchased the suite next to theirs and are planning to expand the restaurant. A good portion of my first few days here was spent drawing plans for the expansion. Here's a picture of the floorplan (contractor's original plan is on the left, mine is on the right).


Next up: dealing with diabetes, investment banking for my in-laws, getting haircuts

1 comment: