BTW, about my reading list...

Even though I have a ton of new novels that I should or could be reading, and even though some of them actually sound really interesting, I have not been in the mood lately to embark on any radical new ideas.

So, I've been reading the same books over and over. Sometimes, I list them on my reading list and sometimes I don't. Partly because I'm going through them too fast and it would be somewhat akin to trying to list the names of every person I speak to on a weekly basis, but mostly it's because I think it's kind of like padding an essay with extra words. For example, in the case of Charlaine Harris' "Sookie Stackhouse" series, there are now, I think, 7 books in that series. To me, these short, funny, and lightweight stories are like Pringles in that I can't ever read just one so if I wanted to list them, I'd have to list all 7 titles each and every time I read them, and that's simply, well..."too many notes."

QT says he doesn't understand how I can reread the same books over and over (and over again). I tell him it's very similar to watching Apollo 13 or Bachelor Party or Moonraker or any other of his favorite movies a gazillion times. In my case, I suppose I enjoy returning to visit the people and places I've come to know and love (or love to hate). Suffice to say that I'm fairly comfortable hanging out with my fictional friends for now, and only the thought of an upcoming book club meeting finally inspired me to open a book I'd never before read. (Love in the Time of Cholera-and I was very upset with the ending!)

So, I just wanted to ask those of you who ever glance at my reading list to please bear with me while I wallow happily in my memories.

1 comment:

  1. A year and a half ago, I read the whole Stephanie Plum series a second time to do an essay. Then, this fall we started listening to the series in the car. Now I'm listening to them again.

    A good series becomes a comfort, like some good friends. Like companionship. Or that's just me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete