Happy Birthday QT!

It's QT's birthday today. Yippeee!!!!



Even though I've not been feeling too well lately, I wanted to do something special for QT's birthday b/c, well, gosh-darn-it, he deserves it! I even secured a babysitter weeks ago without even having an idea of where we'd go but knowing only that we'd definitely be going somewhere!

I figured we'd go out to dinner then wing the rest of the evening, but yesterday, by a sheer stroke of luck, I happened to be riding the bus downtown and noticed the marquee at the Paramount announcing that the Gipsy Kings were going to be there in concert on QT's birthday! I jumped off the bus and hightailed it back to the Paramount to get tickets, but the box office was closed. Ok, so no tickets yet, but at least I finally had a plan!

Birthday morning rolls around, and it's nice and easy so far. We have breakfast, sing happy birthday, and eat some cake before heading out for haircuts. We return home afterwards to shower, change, etc then QT & I tidy up the house and prepare lunch while Pumpkin naps. Y'know, typical family weekend stuff. All this time, QT still has no clue where we're going (but he decides to be a Grinch about it anyway ;). It's finally almost time to start getting ready for our big night out. Then, Pumpkin wakes from his nap and comes downstairs looking for us. I notice immediately that something's not quite right. His cheeks are flushed, he's moving sluggishly, and when he crawls up on my lap, I realize that he's a bit warm. One could almost say...feverish. Damn!

I hope against hope that he's just overheated from having been dressed too warmly during his nap while being bundled up in fleece blankets with a warm cat sleeping on top of him so I quickly remove his fuzzy pj's and wait a few minutes. Nope, still feverish, and now he's also shivering a bit. Damn! I quickly put his pants back on and give him a dose of Motrin and a frozen popsicle to see if that'll do the trick. Nope. Fever's actually gone up, and now, he's starting to whine. We rush upstairs to put Pumpkin in the tub while we start getting dressed (in the same room, of course). Pumpkin finally seems a bit cooler so we take him out of the tub and dress him in shorts & a tee. I've only managed to get partially dressed so far, but I'm still hopeful that we'll make it to the Gipsy Kings tonight. We check Pumpkin's temp again, and the fever's still holding steady. Damn.

It's 30 minutes before the babysitter's set to arrive, and we have to make a decision. Our babysitter is 12 years old, and even though I believe the fever will abate without complications like it usually does, I'd hate to leave her alone with a potentially dangerous situation. We concede defeat, and I reluctantly call the babysitter to cancel before truding sadly back to my closet to change back into my frumpy (but comfy) house clothes. Pumpkin's looking more lively, and his temp has gone down a notch to 100 so we at least have our silver lining.

Our big night out down in flames, QT runs to Saltgrass Steakhouse for some takeout, and that at least fulfills the dinner portion of our evening. Here, then, is a taste of what the rest of our evening would've been like:



Happy birthday, QT. Better luck next year.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ang. I'll pass your bday wishes along. :)

    ReplyDelete