Mad Eyes

While putting Pumpkin to bed the other night, we had a brief *lesson* on eye anatomy. It all got started because I was explaining to him that some words have more than one meaning. And, I don't know why we were talking about that...I think because he wanted to know what a "fan" was...as in "railfan."

Anyway, I mentioned that pupil was another word with several meanings, and that led us to talking about our eyes and how we can see in the dark and also keep bright light from hurting our eyes. Even though it was late and way past his bedtime, Pumpkin was so into our impromptu lesson that I let him do a little science experiment. I faced the night light and had him look into my eyes while simultaneously switching the night light back on. Et voila! Pupil contraction in action! Pumpkin thought that was the most awesome thing he'd ever seen. (Btw, "awesome" is his current word so everything is awesome anyway...but this one rang of the truth! I swear!). Anyway, he was so amazed by how our eyes work that every night now, he wants to turn all the lights off and tell me everything he can see in his room in the dark. Part of me suspects that he's just trying to extend his bedtime, but it's actually very cute seeing him so excited about something like this. Only problem is that I inadvertently interchanged *pupil* for *iris." Oops!


Actually, I only realized my mistake because I told him that I wasn't sure what the name was for one of those parts, and I promised to look it up and teach it to him tomorrow. Guess I have some more 'splaining to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment