Stand Down, Men

I talked to my mom this morning. She said Pumpkin's been reunited with his favorite cousin Lis and is fine now, and she urged me to stay home and wait for my flight. I also talked to Pumpkin, and I have to agree with her assertion. When I talked to him yesterday, he stayed on the phone with me for a while telling me all about his day. His regular modus operandi is to talk to me for about 30 seconds before passing me off to whomever's closest. I assume he does this whenever he's too busy having fun to talk to me, and up until yesterday, that is how all our phone conversations have gone during his visit so far, haha. I pretend hurt, but in truth, I don't mind it one bit because at least I know he's having fun.

Well, when I talked to him this morning, he took an extra minute on the phone with me to tell me about his new train, but when he was ready to go, he passed the phone to Beautiful Grandma and ran off. Seconds later, I heard wild and happy shrieking in the background (which my mom said was him & Lis playing with the dogs). Funny anecdote time: When he first got on the phone, I could hear my mom in the background also trying to talk to him. I couldn't quite make out what he was saying so I asked him to tell her, "Grandma, be quiet. I'm talking to my mommy." Instead, what I heard him yell was "GRANDMA! SHUT IT!" LOL!! Don't worry, I could hear my mom also laughing in the background; she's a good sport.

So I guess QT & I are in for the weekend. Our day started out alright, but then QT being QT, an unfortunate gloom settled over us within a couple of hours of waking. When I first thought of spending the entire weekend together sans Pumpkin, I don't know...I guess I envisioned strolling hand-in-hand, having an ice cream cone, or going out to a nice dinner at a restaurant where they don't necessarily have to serve mac-and-cheese, haha. I couldn't quite remember what sort of things we used to do together before Pumpkin came along, but I assumed we'd be able to figure it out given the chance. I think now that perhaps we've gotten so used to always having Pumpkin as a buffer that we haven't really noticed that, maybe, we don't particularly enjoy spending time alone together anymore. I mean, we're still friends, of course, but we're not as friendly to each other as we once were. There's definitely a lot more sniping, growling, and complaining between us than I recall there ever being in our lives before. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm overly emotional these days and also not remotely as patient as I may be when not pregnant so perhaps it's all just me. Still. I guess we'll see how this weekend goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment