Drat this weather and other random thoughts

I woke up this morning with thoughts of hanging out at a park, perhaps reading a book, while Pumpkin ran around happily playing with a ball or chasing birds or whatever it is toddlers like to chase. I quickly scrapped those plans once I turned on the weather channel and realized it was only 19 degrees F outside. Naturally, I realized it really was just a dream cuz when I looked out the window, I saw that there was still plenty of snow on the ground, and it's piled up even higher in those areas where few feet have trod. The sun did come out eventually and warm things up to a more acceptable 30-something, but it was approaching naptime by then so here we are at home. Bah humbug.

I find myself really missing Clear Lake this morning. I imagine driving down Bay Area Boulevard on a beautiful sunny day in my Miata (cuz the heat is not yet oppressive there at this time of year). I can almost even see the shops lining the road and wish I could stop in at Freebird's for a yummy burrito and some queso with "wac." (wac=guacamole, btw, for those of you who aren't in-the-know). Thinking of Kerbey queso, in turn, raises memories of the Kerbey Lane Cafe in Austin. Now, THERE'S a blast from the past! I've many a fond memory of the Kerbey Lane Cafe, many of them involving being drunk and having a snack in the middle of the night. (I'm talking about food, folks!) I wonder if the cafe still exists?

Speaking of nonexistent locales, I recently found out that our old college pizza hangout has been bought out by an evil developer from Houston who's planning to raze the block to build a Starbucks and other such places (figures!). That is such a total bummer! I was so happy this past summer when I found out that they'd finally reopened, and just like a figment of my imagination, they've vanished once again. Well, farewell, Flying Tomato. I hope your owners reopen somewhere else cuz it'd be a shame to let an institution like that disappear forever.

Moving on....I am happy to report that Pumpkin's slept alone in his own room in his own bed for the past 2 nights. Mind you, he didn't exactly sleep through the night having apparently woken QT up around 3am on both nights, but he also didn't ask to join us in our bed, which rates a big 'ole Yee-Haw in my book. Strangely enough, it doesn't exactly make me feel better to know that I've somehow managed to sleep through both nights without hearing him. At all. (permit me a pause while I allow a million and one possible scary scenarios of all-the-things-that-could-go-wrong-should-my-mother-sense-continue-to-fail-me-in-the-middle-of-the-night go through my mind.) So what's up with that?! Why can't I, the person who used to be able to hear him sigh from across the room even while I was in the middle of a sexy REM dream, hear him cry over the monitor or {gasp} notice him walking into our room and standing beside our bed?

Though I was shocked at first, upon 2nd blush, I'm feeling fairly tickled about it. Since we moved here and had to bring Pumpkin into our room to calm him, I don't think I've often had an undisturbed night of sleep. That is not to say that I haven't had any undisturbed nights. I slept deeply and happily when I spent my birthday weekend alone at a local resort (compliments of my darling hubby) and again during the 3-4 weeks that I slept in Pumpkin's room while recuperating from my back injury. So maybe I'm looking at this all wrong...and perhaps I'll just savor these few nights cuz they're sure not to last.

No comments:

Post a Comment